Friday, May 28, 2010

Celebration: Bananas

A friend of ours told us that there is a banana disease that is threatening to wipe out all banana plants as we know them.

He said this happened one time before and the banana we eat to day is not the banana people used to eat way back when. Because that banana is EXTINCT.

He said bananas are just clones of each other so their genetic makeup is exactly the same, and this is why it's so easy to kill all of them in one fell swoop.

He knows a lot about banans because he read a whole book about them.

I hope they can make this disease go away because I like bananas. Especially with chocolate and ice cream. When we were at the store this week I made a point of buying bananas because maybe next week they will all be DEAD.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for making me SAD! Some genius needs to figure out how to save the bananas and the bees. Maybe we could make t-shirts that say "Save the B&Bs." Not because that would help, but because I'm a sucker for customized t-shirts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also heard about this. Crazy! all the more reason to go to brazil though, as they have tons of varieties down there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mitzi. You shouldn't tell lies. You don't have any customized t-shirts.

    Jim, are they all good? I'm still so jealous of you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your friend is right. I've had students write papers on the extinction of bananas. So sad. As for customized t-shirts, Ben is the champion creator. I love his shirt that says "Don't make me shun you." What would you write for a banana? "Bananas are appealing?"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha ha. Maybe we should make one that says, "Don't make me pun you." Ha ha. (I'm putting off writing a paper right now. Bah.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess I should say I'm a sucker for coming up with customized t-shirt ideas as a joke. But I think Ma's right. Ben's the king.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Mitzi, you can say whatever you want. You're a self made woman.

    ReplyDelete