Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Celebration: Keeping Fit

I am now in my 5th week of exercising for at least 30 minutes 4 days a week. And I feel so great! It used to be struggle just to get myself to exercise consistently for 3 DAYS. I feel like my perception of myself has shifted a little. Now I'm the sort of person who can maintain an exercise routine rather than a person who only attempts and fails. I may not always be able to keep it up as regularly as I have been, but now I know it lies in my power to do it.

In Welsh instead of saying "exercise" they say cadw'n heinu (said, "CAH-doon HAY-nee), which means "keeping fit." So in Welsh I would have said, "I am now in my 5th week of keeping fit for at least 30 minutes 4 days a week..." I like this phrase because it directly states the goal whereas "exercise" is more about the process. When I think about exercise as keeping fit I feel just that little bit more motivated. Isn't it funny how simply using different words for the same thing changes how we feel about it?

10 comments:

  1. Bravo to you! I myself have been trying to do something similar in the last couple of months and you're so right - one of the nicest things is feeling like you are capable of doing it instead of feeling like you can't possibly.

    ~Ren

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats!!! exercise is one of those things i sort of really don't like. so i am very proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is very good. (also maybe you should jog on up here to provo and visit us ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Last week I said, Monday I will start working out....it's Thursday and I am sitting here blog stalking....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went running with my older and wiser sister when I was St. George and I felt so good afterward. I did not feel good while I was doing it but afterward I felt great. I really thought I would keep up the habit but alas, I haven't. I am using sleep-deprivation as my excuse.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jim: We WANT to! And we should do it soon.

    Chels: Yesterday and Tuesday I told myself the whole day, "I'm going to do this or that, and then I'll go work out." But I never did.

    What if we all just started walking more places instead of driving? Oh wait! That only works so well in a real city, ha ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear, I love your last sentence and COMPLETELY agree. I have learned that so much here while in Kyoto. Can"t wait to stop by and crash your pad in Vegas. We'll do lunch. Or dinner. Or maybe keep fit. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bravo to you! What is fun about exercising is that you get stronger and feel better, too. I could keep up with Sage when I took him to the game Saturday. Bravo to me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lor! Are you really going to come to Vegas sometime? PLEASE do.

    Ma - you're pretty stinking impressive. Only not really stinking. Bravo to you!

    ReplyDelete