Monday, February 7, 2011

Celebration: Safety

Yesterday, while on a walk with my niece and nephew in my in-laws' neighborhood, I noticed smoke rising from the back of one of the houses we were passing. It smelled like the charcoal my grandpa uses in his barbecue so I thought that's what it was at first, that it had just gotten a little out of hand and started smoking. Then I noticed smoke had begun pouring out of the vents in the house's attic. And then I noticed smoke streaming out of the corner of one of the upstairs windows, and rising up to combine with the increasingly engorged cloud of gray smoke in the sky. I reached for my cellphone, but it wasn't in any of my pockets. Then I noticed that in the few minutes it had taken me to notice all these things my nephew, who has the energy of an antelope, had somehow propelled himself so far down the street that he was nearly invisible. It was a strange moment, where everything seems drawn out, slowed down. I felt the responsibility over my nephew's safety and the responsibility to address the emergency taking place in front of me, and the panic of not knowing how to respond to both.

Luckily, Jordan rode up just then on his dad's bike. He called 911 and I shepherded the children back to my in-laws' house. Some neighbors came outside to see what was happening and were able to get the owners of the burning house on the phone to find out what to save, and a neighbor broke into the house and rescued the dog and an urn. The fire department arrived quickly and immediately went to work. Luckily no one was harmed, though their tiny dog will probably never like the smell of barbecue again. Jordan's parents don't know the owners of the house very well, and the family will probably never know who exactly helped them out, but I was really grateful for Jordan's timely arrival on the scene. And most of all, I was grateful that everyone was safe. Since I was a little kid, the idea of fires like that has been darkly terrifying for me. Though it seems like the inside of their house was almost completely destroyed and they likely lost many things of sentimental value, it's nice to know that all that was lost were things.

7 comments:

  1. I am so glad that everyone was safe!

    I still remember years ago seeing the smoke (and really large flames) coming from the direction of your house when I looked out my front window. I remember how worried all of us kids were when our parents ran over to make sure all of you were okay, and all we could do was watch.

    Yes, a house fire has always been one of my deepest fears. I'm glad everyone was okay, both then and now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHOA! I'm so glad you were there and able to find out their dog was inside so it could be saved. If I were the owner of that dog I'd start crying, puking and running for the car to get home to my dog and likely traumatize it more by sobbing over it. I can't help it. I'm just that ridiculous sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were very calm when we had our house fire, but it was traumatic anyway. Glad no one was hurt. And, Mitzi, no worries about your dog and fires. Sammy must have rubbed off on her. Dad tested the fire alarms the other day and your pup threw both front paws around my leg and hung there. I'd have to take her with me or burn if there was a real fire.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I guess that's some sort of consolation. Although I don't like the idea of anyone burning. I am glad you're there to save her should anything go wrong. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nae, I didn't realize you guys could see it that far away. That was a pretty heart shaking experience. Though I didn't realize how much it had shaken me until Bethany came and to pick me up and I started telling her about it.

    Mitzi, Pip would never burn up. She's magic that way. And Mom won't burn up either. 'Cause she's too smart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks RoRo. I like your perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm totally PARANOID about house fires. My worst nightmare is that the kids' bedroom will catch fire without me knowing and that I won't be able to get them or that I will get separated from my kids by a giant wall of flames. I try to imagine myself courageously jumping through the flames and somehow navigating my way out to safety with them. This post makes me want to put new batteries in the fire alarms. I'm gonna do it!!!

    ReplyDelete