Monday, February 14, 2011

Celebration: Some Silly Little Love Songs

In celebration of Valentine's Day, I'm sharing some of my favorite songs about love.

MY FUNNY VALENTINE. Performed by Ella Fitzgerald. The first time I ever heard this song, Jordan was singing it, and as many versions as I've heard since then, his is still my favorite. We may think we want someone to tell us, "You are the most beautiful, you are the smartest, you are perfection personified," but isn't it a lot nicer to hear someone say that even though you're merely human they like you just the way you are? That's why I like this song.


SONNET 29. Rufus Wainwright. Little known story behind this song: The Cosmic Director of the Arts, who is in charge of all the art created in the many universes, was approached one day by his arch-enemy and former childhood friend the Cosmic Director of Small Mindedness with the challenge, "I bet you can't make Shakespeare any better." The Cosmic Director of the Arts had just two words to say in response -- "Rufus Wainwright."



LOVE'S A GAME. The Magic Numbers. For those who may be without valentines this year, a song about the fickleness of love. But I dare you to try and feel sorry for yourself while listening to this song. Also, remember that I love you...just not in THAT way.

5 comments:

  1. I'm totally going to enjoy these. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I ran into the Cosmic Director of Small Mindedness once. I was all, "Whoa! You're mind is, like, TINY!" He didn't think it was funny, but the Cosmic Director of the Arts was just walking by and he though I was freaking hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Have I really not posted since Valentine's Day? Well, even if it takes me a while to say it, you guys are great!

    ReplyDelete