Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Celebration: Giving and Receiving

I like pleasant surprises. For instance, gifts. I like preparing gifts for other people and seeing their faces at the reveal. That's part of the magic of Christmas and this year I definitely enjoyed that aspect of the holiday. Of course, it can be a little disappointing when people obviously don't appreciate their gifts as much as you want them to, but one of the best parts about giving to other people is the excitement I feel myself regardless of their reaction, so giving gifts is always worth it to me.

I also like receiving gifts. Jordan, who likes to give the perfect gift and tends to put a lot of time and energy into preparing gifts for people and sometimes would rather know exactly what a person wants in order to give the perfect gift, has found out that I don't want him to consult me in too much detail about his presents for me because the surprise is at least half of my pleasure in receiving. Why do I like surprises? I can't pinpoint the reason exactly, but I know a huge part of it is that sense of an exchange between two people, of seeing into the other person's mind and the way they see you, and understanding them a little better and appreciating them more.

Sometimes when I've received presents I've gotten too focused on wanting the gift to be exactly what I want and I forget the importance of that exchange with another person. When I was in junior high the shoe brand Vans came out with a series of shoes that were made of shiny fabric that was covered with even shinier plastic. My best friend got a pair of red, smooth sneakers, like a hip version of Dorothy's glass slippers. A girl on our bus also got a pair of red ones, but hers were finished in a reptile skin pattern. At the time I didn't have very many fancy clothes and those shoes seemed like the fanciest things a girl could own while still being cool instead of prissy. I wanted a pair so badly, and I wanted them to be that same deep red because it was just so pretty. Vans only had those two kinds of red ones, so when I was writing my Christmas list that year I opted to get the ones like my best friend rather than the other girl who I did not like very much at the time.

On Christmas morning I saw that shoebox-shaped gift from my grandparents and I knew what was in it. When I tore off the wrapping paper and saw the Vans logo on the box I was even more sure. Then I opened the box and inside were a pair of red, shining sneakers finished in a reptile skin pattern. I was so disappointed. I couldn't imagine going to school wearing the same shoes as That Girl. I pretended to try to be happy the rest of Christmas morning but really I wasn't trying at all; I wanted my grandparents to know I was disappointed. Finally my grandpa asked what was wrong. It was his turn to look unhappy, but I was focused on getting the exact shoes I wanted not on whether he knew how much I appreciated their generosity. That week he went and exchanged the shoes and I thought I was in heaven. Until my best friend saw them and got annoyed that I'd copied her. She never wore hers again.

It didn't take very long for me to look back on that experience and realize what terrible behavior I exhibited and how much less enjoyable Christmas was for me because I got so focused on getting those dumb shoes. There are probably situations when it's best to let a gift giver know that they got it wrong, but I think most of the time if that's where your focus is, you're missing the point completely. I think giving and receiving gifts is about looking at each other more closely and appreciating each other. I got so many great gifts this year, and I'm really grateful for them. But mostly I'm grateful for the people who gave them to me.

8 comments:

  1. There was all this drama in your childhood I had no notion of. That means not all your unpleasant childhood memories were caused by me. So HA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an interesting post to me, Rose. I think gift exchanges are a fascinating element of relationship building.

    While I appreciate what you are saying about not being so focused on getting particular things that you cannot appreciate surprises or variations, I also think that sometimes gifts from others can be *so* not what one wants that they are almost hurtful. When you got the wrong pair of red shoes, at least your grandparents were trying to get you something they knew you really wanted - they just slightly erred on the specifics because they didn't know any better. On the other hand, if you had directly told them you did not want reptile skin shoes and they deliberately got them anyway, that would have been a little different, mmm?

    I often receive gifts that maybe aren't quite what I would have chosen for myself or are a little odd, but I usually still really appreciate them because of the obvious thought or care that went into the gift. But I also have been given some gifts that have made me really question my relationship with someone or also made me feel sad or frustrated at how little someone seems to know me or care for me. I don't think the mere fact of *a* gift is enough - I think *what* the gift is does make a difference.

    ~Ren

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting point, Ren. I wasn't thinking about experiences like that. I know you've had some very "interesting" presents given to you. I think when a gift is meant as a message (which I think is what you're referring to?) it can be very dangerous. I guess I don't really think of those as gifts in the surprise sense. Although, sometimes they might come as a surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me, too. I'm grateful for you. But the DVD was pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, yes I have gotten some "gifts as messages" that have been unpleasant. But I actually wasn't thinking of those so much as some other examples from my life or others I know of.

    For instance, I know someone who last year celebrated Christmas with both her parents and her grandma. Her grandma gave her a food processor, which everyone oohed and aahed over and she was glad to have. This year her parents sent her a food processor. She felt kind of hurt because it was so weirdly thoughtless of them for her to get her a gift they knew she had gotten just last year. Yet it was the sort of gift that is meant to be generous . . . not a nasty "message."

    Anyway - I didn't mean to put a sour twist on your very cheerful post, and I worry that I did so. I certainly DO agree with you that there is something wonderful in the surprise of getting a gift that is unexpected but turns out to be perfect in ways you couldn't have expected. And I liked your point about how getting a surprise from someone lets you see a bit int how they see you.

    ~Ren

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ma, GOOD! I'm glad you like it. It was fun to make.

    Ren - Ha ha. Well when I finally send you your gift, hopefully it wasn't something I sent you last year. Not being the person being given the food processor twice in a row (do they want to send it our way? Ha ha.) then that story is kind of hilarious, in a situational comedy sort of way. That would be pretty disappointing though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If she can't return it, I'll ask her if she wants to bestow it on a needy soul I know :). The story IS funny from the outside - you are about it being sitcom material! - though from the inside it was less so . . .

    I am sure whatever you send will be amazing and lovely - I do not feel like you are a person who can send a terrible gift. Even when you just send a little email or whatever, you always communicate warmth and care. That is quite a talent, I think.


    ~Ren

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rose, DC misses you and Jordan. Hannah and I were talking about how empty our lives are without you in it. SAD FACE!

    ReplyDelete