Friday, March 5, 2010

Celebration - Jordan's Subconscious

I have a hard time falling asleep. Jordan doesn't. He could fall asleep in the middle of a rock concert if he didn't like the band. Sometimes Jordan can help me fall asleep by lulling me into drowsiness with his voice--he tells me about things like how much force is needed to propel a rocket into the air, or the particularly lovely features of his currently most coveted Jazzmaster guitar, or the difficulties of patenting certain types of intellectual property like the Google search engine.

The problem with the Talk-Rose-to-Sleep method is that 8 times out of 10 it puts Jordan to sleep first, often in the middle of a sentence. And when he starts to fall asleep he says crazy and nonsensical things that result in hilarity.

One time he was rubbing my aching back and telling me the different bones and muscles that make up my body. At one point he paused for a minute with his hand on my spine and said drowsily, "And they drilled two holes here to make room for more pickups." (That's guitar speak.)

This week Jordan was talking me to sleep by telling me about an episode of Law and Order that was about a case involving custody of a child. Jordan started to fall asleep and we got this gem of a sentence: "...they gave it to the father who was only concerned with the thickness and quality of her domestic debate."

I like these moments both because they make me laugh and because they reveal what's filling up Jordan's subconscious. They tell me something about him that he wouldn't quite be able to do himself.

6 comments:

  1. i love it. and i love hearing what ben has to say in his sleep, although i sometimes don't remember what he said by morning. hope you find a good way to sleep better soon...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, maybe I can try to see if Richard's subconscious will do that. That is truly hilarious. I hope you can sleep better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So what exactly did these subconscious ramblings tell you about him? What is your translation?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very funny. Rachel falls asleep while talking all the time - but doesn't keep the talking. Just shuts off. It would be more amusing if she kept going :).

    Related: When I was a kid I liked the idea of talking in your sleep as revealing something secret or important so sometimes with my sister or at sleepovers I would pretend to talk in my sleep. I am fairly certain everyone always knew I was pretending. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nae and Mitzi, the subconscious is a dangerous thing. You have to be careful when you unlock it.

    renbeth, I think that story is HILARIOUS. One of my best friends actually did have a sleep talking conversation with her awake sister and accidentally revealed a secret boyfriend, which her sister then told her mother.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Subconsciously, I wrote an entire book while I was asleep a couple of nights ago. I wonder if it was a good book. It seemed a little strange.

    And, no, I wouldn't probe your father's subconscious.

    ReplyDelete